Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Parenting Strategy for Beggars

Bill Bright used to say something like, "I'm just a beggar showing other beggars where to find bread."

Consider this post one beggar to another.

For a few months, I've subscribed to receive parenting emails from the National Center for Biblical Parenting.  For the most part, the emails are excerpts from books that Scott Turansky and Joanne Miller have written.  

Last week's email was especially beneficial and below is an excerpt (from Home Improvement, the Parenting Book You Can Read to Your Kids.  I've not read the book, just the email excerpt.)

Here’s an idea: Fold a piece of paper to make three columns. In column one, list unwanted behaviors you see in your child. In many cases this is a long list but that's okay. Putting the problem on paper often helps sort it out. In the second column try to group the behaviors into character issues. We find that challenging children often lack qualities like self control, sensitivity, perseverance, and gentleness, just to name a few.

In the third column identify positive character qualities as headings and then specific behaviors you'd like to see to replace those unwanted behaviors. Taking this information, develop a strategy to motivate your child to make small changes.


So, I did the exercise.  Actually Hubby and I did it separately then talked about our results.  It was hugely helpful.  HUGE.  

Being the geek-a-zoid that I am, I made a spreadsheet so that Hubby and I would be on the same page.  It's rough b.c I'm still learning to use a Mac but if you want to print it, go here.  If you want to sign up to get the emails a couple of times a week, go here.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Thanks for the worksheet. It's a great idea. We've been reading through Shepherding a Child's Heart and this will compliment that book very well.

Charissa said...

I've been getting these emails for about 2 months now. Even though some of the suggestions are way ahead of where we are in parenting, I love filing these away mentally for that day when CC starts... I've found those days come more quickly than i would hope!

MajorScoop said...

great idea.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails