Monday, March 16, 2009

Compost

For years I've dreamed of this crock.  It sits on the kitchen counter and collects fruit/veggie scraps as well as tea bags and coffee grounds.  The top has a charcoal filter so that your kitchen won't smell like onions and garlic dipped in coffee.  

Being the cheap frugal person that I am, I wouldn't shell out the 40 bucks for it.  You can imagine my delight when I found a brand new one at Goodwill.

Having the pretty crock pushed me over the edge to make a full sized compost bin for outdoors like this one - especially now that we have a yard! (and since the worms died when I neglected them for 6 weeks.)

Hubby bought a 33 gallon heavy duty plastic trash can with a tight fitting lid at Home Depot.  Then I used a 1/2 inch drill bit to make all kinds of holes for aeration. Picture courtesy of Mr. Intensity.
Mr. Intensity became the photographer, after his recklessness drilling made me nervous.  I made him stop helping.  I'm such a mean mom.
Above he's demonstrating how we'll roll the container in the yard to turn the compost.  And below is the finished project.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're so lucky, I can't believe you found that at Goodwill!! I want one of those so bad but I am also too cheap, er, frugal to spring for one.

Anonymous said...

Cool!

Christy said...

You're so ambitious! Looks like you all are having a good time getting settled!
Blog question...how do you type the strikethrough??

Julie said...

Christy, re: strike through (I had to ask another blogger, too!) - when writing a post, go to the "edit HTML" tab. Find the word you want to strike and before the word type (open carrot)del(closed carrot) and after the word /del (but you have to use open and closed carrots <> before and after the del.) I can't show you exactly b.c google is freaking out that I want to strike something in the comments. Let me know if this doesn't work for you....luvmyhub AT gmail DOT com

Charissa said...

I'm glad you shared this DIY composter again. I have wanted to do this for awhile, but Chris is finely on board, I think, so maybe I'll send him a link and see what he thinks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails