Thursday, February 21, 2008

Inspired by Gina

My neighbor, Gina, is an incredible cook. I love to watch her create her family's dinner. While she has an entire shelf of cookbooks, I've never seen her use them. Usually she creates on the fly, or uses a recipe for "inspiration" then produces her own unique creation.

Last night's dinner at our house was inspired by Gina. I didn't have a recipe or even a name for our dinner. John came downstairs and said, "What are you making?"

Dinner.

"Well, what's the name of it?"

It doesn't have a name. I'm trying to be like Gina and make something delicious from what I have on hand.

My man was apprehensive but willing to try. It smelled heavenly.

Here's my "recipe":

In a wok (on medium high) add oil, I used coconut oil. When hot, add cubed butternut squash. Sear for about 5 minutes to get the outside to caramelize. Then, add

one chopped onion & cook for a minute

2 cloves garlic, chopped
minced ginger (I used about 3 inches of root)

one celery heart, chopped
keep stirring and cooking on med-high. If the bottom of the pan gets too hot or begins to scorch, add sherry or cooking wine. Yum.

1-2 T curry (depending on your taste)
salt & pepper to taste

1 can garbanzo beans, drained
1 cup sliced mushrooms (add these last so they don't get too mushy)

serve with jasmine rice (or whatever is on hand)
garnish with nuts (I used toasted pecans)

We thought it was yummy. Picky JI even ate some (he was bribed with dessert - but that doesn't always work on him!)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails