Thursday, April 17, 2008

Scissors and Herbs

In honor of N-week, we used our nose for this project and some scissors. We were smelling mint, cilantro, parsley, rosemary and onions. The goal was to snip the herbs in small pieces then try to distinguish the scents...blindfolded!

First we talked about the names of each. Except for the mint, he was familiar with all of them. When I asked what he thought each smelled like, he would only say the parsley smelled like celery.
Once he started snipping the onion, he realized it was hollow. Look mom, they're glasses!

Below he's cutting the onion, but his favorite was the mint. Never found out why he was drawn to the mint - was it easier to cut? smelled better than the rest? Lips were locked. Loose lips sink ships, ya know.
Confession: when I'm concentrating I also do weird things with my tongue.
Even though I tried to get tender rosemary clippings there were a few woody ones that were more difficult to cut.
We've done a few games where he's blindfolded and it hasn't gone so well. I really wasn't sure if he would participate with the final part but he did - though he tried his darnedest to peek.

After he properly identified all five herbs with his smeller, he insisted that I don the blindfold and label them correctly. A bit leery, I did it. I have to admit I wanted to peek because I was fearful of what Mr Intensity would do with scissors while I was blindfolded!

Crazy enough, all these herbs were in my fridge or on my patio. If you don't use herbs, use other things to snip and identify like grass, flowers, leaves, pine cones, apple peels...whatever fits your fancy.
To see what others did with this week's Unplugged project, go here.

9 comments:

Evenspor said...

What a cool idea.

Julie said...

did you use scissors just to have him do something with them... Eli has such a hard time holding scissors... I like the idea!

Christy said...

Tommy sticks his tongue out a bit when he is concentrating...I wonder if Katie will do that! :)

Steph said...

Looks like Mr. Intensity had a lot of fun with this one! I tried it with Tatum but she doesn't even know how to sniff yet, so it was a bust :)

Michie said...

I really like your project! I was trying to find some different things to cut too, and I wouldn't have though of herbs! Great idea!

Anonymous said...

Very creative! I'm loving all the wonderful ideas! :)

Garden State Kate said...

Great idea!

Anonymous said...

LOL Looks like he enjoyed himself...love the concentrating tongue!!

Anonymous said...

That's a great idea! I wouldn't have thought of it, so thanks for the inspiration. Parsley DOES smell a bit like celery, very perceptive!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails