Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Fieldtrip to Barnhill Orchards




One day at the farmers market I asked Bob Barnhill about his pecans. The conversation was complete with tractors and helmets; I knew my son would love to see the operation. Mr. Barnhill graciously invited us for a field trip. Well, to be more accurate - I invited myself. And kept calling him to remind him to let me know when he was going to make his trees shake.


The mechanism on the back of the tractor could have a fancy name. I'll call it the tree shaker.
The kids cheered when the trees shook and pecans fell.


Once picked up (the old fashioned way) the pecans are sorted into sizes with this machine.


And cracked in this machine. The nuts still need a bit of elbow grease after being cracked.


We also saw one of the Barnhill gardens.


And brought home some of the sweetest broccoli I've ever eaten...in my entire life!


Thanks for showing us around Mr. Barnhill!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails