Monday, April 28, 2008

Meatless Meals

Lori wrote an interesting post today about plant based vs. animal based diets. She pointed to The China Study which found... "Children who ate the highest protein diets were the ones most likely to get liver cancer..."

I've placed a hold at my library for the book.

Tonight's dinner at the Majors' house was a vegetarian one. It is quick, easy, yummy and inexpensive! The recipe came from Miserly Moms and says the cost of the meal is $1.25 for 4 servings. They are very small portions so I always double the recipe.

Here's how I made it tonight:

Thai Noodle Meal
1/2 lb pasta
16 oz frozen mixed veggies, thawed
1 cup peanut butter, creamy or chunky - I used natural
5 T soy sauce
1 T vinegar (cider, rice, or red wine vinegar)
1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes (or Tabasco)
1 cup water or broth

Boil water and cook noodles. In another saucepan, combine other ingredients (add veggies after mixture is consistent, and warm through.) Toss with pasta. Serve with a salad.

optional: garnish with chopped peanuts and cilantro.

If you like it hotter, add more pepper flakes or Tabasco. I wanted Mr. Intensity to eat it so I didn't make it as spicy as normal. Surprisingly, he ate it...not much, but he ate it.

you can reheat left-overs, just make sure to store noodles and sauce separately.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails