Thursday, June 12, 2008

V is for Volcano!

Mr. Intensity loved this very fun experiment. We started by talking about volcanoes. I asked the 5W's and H questions...Who made the volcanoes? What do they look like? What's inside? We have read library books on them so he had a pretty good handle on the subject...for 3.5 years old. :)

Using our old play-dough, together we fashioned the semblance of a volcano...and hid a small cup inside to hold our liquid.


When asked, "What color is the lava?" Immediately he responded: RED! So first he poured a bit of red water into the hidden cup.The Moveable Alphabet recommended using yeast so the lava would appear more solid. I couldn't tell a difference. Then he sprinkled a BIG tablespoon of baking soda in the water.
And, finally, the vinegar. When he smelled it, he said, "It smells like chicken broth." Really? ugh. I love the expression on his face here, just as the reaction begins.
Look at that smile! He loved the explosion. What an expression of satisfaction.
Once the bubbles ceased, "Let's do it again!"

We did secondary colors: orange then purple and finally green. He would have made volcanoes all day.

This was an easy project. Specifically, set up/ clean up time was minimal. There were HIGH returns for my investment.

I'm gonna double-dog-dare some mommas to do this project. No pressure, of course, but I think your kiddos would love it.
Julie in Hugary
Crazy Weeks Family
Shannon
Reprehriestless Warillever
Jana Eberle
Megret
...and anyone else who wants to do it. Leave a comment and let me know to come look at your blog.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really fun. So much that I wish I could have been there to do one! haha!

Julie said...

yes, I am in. I will do it with Eli this weekend maybe. He will love it! JI does look like he is having a blast!

Unknown said...

We did this and we LOVED it! Thanks Julie for this great idea. (And we entombed dinosaurs in ice, then bashed them out with a hammer -- that one was fun, too.)

John and Pam Majors said...

You said it, the smile on his face is great! What a fun "V" lesson!!

jojoebi-designs said...

he is just loving it isn't he?
we will be doing this but not quite yet, we haven't really done anything on volcanoes yet but I am itching to do it...

Anonymous said...

We did this yesterday -- post about it is up!
http://www.avclub.us/megret/?p=1617

Thanks for the dare!

Megret

MerrandaVK said...

We did this too! I just posted it.

reprehriestless warillever said...

We would love to try this!

It will have to wait until we get back from California (mid July), but I'll post a picture for you when we do it.

Can you tell how behind I am on blog reading?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails