We have hard water, which means nasty mineral deposits around the faucets. Last week, a friend of mine told her husband, "we need new toilets because I can't get the ring stain off the bowl and I've been scrubbing like a maniac."
Enter borax. She's never heard of borax. [Truthfully, I'd never used it until I bought it for making silly putty.] I gave her some, told her to sprinkle 1/4 cup in the bowl, swish and wait 15 minutes. Swish again and look for results. She was amazed.
My borax is kept in a portable plastic container. The box in which it comes can be a bit messy, when toting room to room. The back of the box and this site list a host of multi-purpose uses.
- laundry booster
- 1 T to dishwasher soap to fight water spots
- safe for fiberglass, enamel and even china
- deodorize garbage (or diaper!) pails
- neutralize odors from carpets or mattresses
- kills fleas & roaches
- drain opener. At the beginning of the month, I try to remember to pour boiling water down my kitchen drain to clean it.