Monday, September 29, 2008

Borax

Monday is the day I bless my house and family by cleaning. My newest favorite cleaning friend is borax.  It's inexpensive, natural and effective!

We have hard water, which means nasty mineral deposits around the faucets.  Last week, a friend of mine told her husband, "we need new toilets because I can't get the ring stain off the bowl and I've been scrubbing like a maniac."

Enter borax.  She's never heard of borax.  [Truthfully, I'd never used it until I bought it for making silly putty.]  I gave her some, told her to sprinkle 1/4 cup in the bowl, swish and wait 15 minutes.  Swish again and look for results.  She was amazed.

My borax is kept in a portable plastic container.  The box in which it comes can be a bit messy, when toting room to room.  The back of the box and this site list a host of multi-purpose uses.  

- laundry booster
- 1 T to dishwasher soap to fight water spots
- safe for fiberglass, enamel and even china
- deodorize garbage (or diaper!) pails
- neutralize odors from carpets or mattresses
- kills fleas & roaches
- drain opener.  At the beginning of the month, I try to remember to pour boiling water down my kitchen drain to clean it.

4 comments:

Julie said...

I wish we could get it here... I wonder if there is an equivalent... what is it made of?

Julie said...

here's a link for What is Borax?. It's a mineral and a compound. Look in the laundry section (that's where it's sold in the States.) You *might* be able to find it.

Anonymous said...

I'll have to try it. I've passed by this box several times and wondered if it was any good....

John and Pam Majors said...

Thanks, I only thought it was for laundry.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails