Monday, November 3, 2008

Sauerkraut & Adoption

The sauerkraut I made was making me nervous. The lid on the jar on the right was bulging so much that I couldn't press it back down.  The pressure was building under there!  The recipe from Nourishing Traditions said to let it ferment in an air tight jar on the counter for 3 days.  Today was day 2 - but it's still in the 90s here.

Hubby was the "lucky" one to open said jar; he did so in the shower, fearful it would explode (or, as Mr. Intensity is saying lately: KER-Splode!) I wish I'd taken a video of the process. It was like opening a 2-liter of Coke that had been dropped - quite fizzy.  I thought for sure the stuff had gone bad.

But it tastes so good.  Oh man.  You gotta try it.  I won't use any lids the next time.  I talked with my parents and they remember their parents letting the sauerkraut ferment in the basement in a giant crock - without a lid.

If you want to try to make your own sauerkraut.  It's really easy.  If you can't find Nourishing Traditions at your library, here are two recipes. and one with pictures (thanks, Dad!) And it's good for you.  Waaaay better than the store-bought processed and pasteurized stuff.

For lunch and dinner I made this mushroom and potato soup with dill bread.  The soup reminded us of this chicken and wild rice soup.  Both soups are excellent.

ADOPTiON Tid-Bit:  The birthmother's OB is the same doc who delivered Mr. Intensity.  Small world, eh?

1 comment:

Julie said...

too bad I don't like Sauerkraut... and what a small world about the doctor!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails