Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Good Books

My hubby is a reading fiend.  

His goal for 2008 was to read a book a week.  FIFTY-TWO books.  He posted his faves.

As for my bookshelf, this week I went to a book discussion on High Call High Privilege.  As a missionary wife, I don't feel all the pressures of a pastor's wife but can relate.  If you're looking for a gift for your pastor's wife - splurge and get it for her.

One of the books that I recommended at the discussion (the chapter we talked about was friendship) was Snow Flower and the Secret Fan.  It's a sweet story of friendship of two Chinese girls in 19th-century rural China.  I learned about foot bindings from the book.  [One of the women in the book discussion was Chinese and her grandmother had bound feet.]

Why Gender Matters is also on my nightstand.  This is a book I will read again in a few years.  The research and documentation is impressive as well as fascinating.  If you're a mom of boys - get your hands on this book - especially if you plan to homeschool.  Looking for a gift for your son's teacher?  This would be a good one.

I'm also trying to finish Robinson Crusoe and frequently nibbling on Nourishing Traditions.

What are you reading these days?  Anyone doing Simple Mom's book club?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails