Monday, May 18, 2009

Random Goodness

Several random highlights to note from the weekend.

- Rendering lard.  Holly found some fat back in Cabot and rendered, too. It was perfect for tortillas and pie crust.  Much cheaper than butter and waaay healthier than Crisco.  It's very easy to render lard.

Making laundry detergent.  Simple Dollar has a video for making 3+  gallons.  
Holly (I wanna be her) gave me a smaller recipe: 

In 6 cups of boiling water, add 1/3 bar soap, grated.  Stir till dissolved.  I used Zote brand, but it's my understanding any bar soap will do.

Then add 1/2 c. borax and 1/2 c. washing soda (not baking soda).

Add 6 more cups of hot water and stir until everything is homogeneous. Use 1/2 cup detergent per load of laundry. 
 I put it into my empty gallon container for   coconut oil.


- Awkward Family Photos - my favorite is the Bon Family Blowout. I laughed and laughed.  HT: Megret

- Carrot Cake Cookies.  Martha Stewart, I love you but my hips hate you.  HT:  The Artful Parent

- House Raffle.  Friends of ours in Louisville are going to the Dominican Republic and are raffling their house for $52.50 a ticket.  Watch a news clip on it.

Hubby is giving away a copy of Big Truths for Young Hearts.  It's a book about teaching kids (and yourself) theology.

Gotta go.  Mr. Intensity is summoning me to read a book to him.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails