Monday, October 15, 2012

Triathlon

A few weeks ago, Hubby got this book from the library.  Always loving a good biography, I had to read it too.  I mean, seriously, what compels people to punish their bodies to swim 2.5 miles, bike 114 then run a marathon (26 miles)?!  While reading it, I felt a bit like a slacker.  After all, I do not exercise.  Ever.
Then it hit me.  I am training for a major race (of sorts).  Labor and delivery.  (It's a BOY, btw, due January 6.)  My body is being distorted, stretched and pulled, making me exhausted at the end of every day.  If only this metamorphosis was a becoming one... I digress.

As long as I've known my man, he has enjoyed, craved, excelled, and enjoyed exercising.  Yes, I know I used the word enjoyed twice.  I do not understand how people enjoy exercising.  He decided to race in a sprint triathlon.  Joining with a 62 year- old co-laborer from FamilyLife, they endeavored to swim 500 yards, bike 13.5 miles and run 3.4 miles.

Here they are loading the car for the race in Heber Springs, Arkansas (about 1.5 hours north of Little Rock).  For many reasons, I decided to stay home with the kids.
And here they are the morning of the race.  Air temperature was 62*, lake water was 69* (these guys did not wear wet suits, though 3/4 of the racers chose this option.)  A storm rolled through during the night making the lake choppy and quite cold, which made the swim rather tough.
 And look how fresh they are after the race!

 John was pleased with time of 1:41, placing 51st overall (120 participants), 6th in his age group.  His friend, Gabe, placed 2nd in his age group.  I was proud of their accomplishments.

2 comments:

mhutsell said...

That is very cool! How is it that men who love exercise so very much marry women who don't? I mean, don't you'd think that would be criteria number one? thank God it isn't! And A BOY! WOOHOOO! Can't wait to see if he matches Mr Intensity's intensity or if you get this nice calm boy who loves to sit and be quiet! :) Such fun to think of what he will add to your home! And you're a pretty prego! No matter how you feel! :)

zanesmommy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails