Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Havin' Fun with Freedom

The parade started at 11am, which is fitting since the hostilities of WWI ended at 11/11/18 at 11am.

As we walked along the parade route looking for a good spot to pop a squat, a veteran called out, "Hey Leutenient!   Come over here."

Mr. Intensity was oblivious so I directed him toward the Vietnam vet. The solider had something he wanted to give my son. It was a pin. I was clueless.

When we found our friends (the Goettls) I shared that a random man gave Mr. Intensity a pin. Andy (squatting), who works with Black Hawks said, "I'd like to shake the hand of the man who gave that to your son."  Apparently it was a big-deal kind of honor pin.  I feel really shallow that I didn't talk more with the generous veteran.

The parade itself was really fun.  More than once I had a lump in my throat or a tear in my eye, thinking of the freedoms I have and the people who have fought and died to make it possible.  

Lest I become too sappy - here are some fun pictures of the day.

My handsome man. *sigh* I'm so glad he was able to join us...and explain all the military terms to Mr. Intensity (who was super excited to be at the parade.)  The lil general kept saying, "Dad!  Here comes ANOTHER Army truck!"  Random note:  the shirt Mr. Intensity wore was Hubby's when he was six.  :)

In this picture, the lil general is playing with Morgan - both are strong-willed want to be in charge spirited first-born children.  They were building a fire or something.

Inside this ball is a woman!  The parade route was over TWO MILES long. Though it looked really fun, I'm thankful they didn't ask me to get in the bouncing hamster wheel.

Other super-workout-women: these pom-pom girls were groovin' in their 60's - and I don't mean music from the 60's.  Some of the ladies were 70 or even 80 years old young.  You go girls!  

And how random is this?  It's a car dressed like a rooster.  What in the world does a rooster car have to do with honoring veterans?

This parade is one of the many things I'll miss about Phoenix.

1 comment:

John and Pam Majors said...

Thank you for sharing the parade with us. That was such a day for JI. I love the picture with the Vietnam vet. JI looks so full of life and fun in contrast with the grim look on the vet's face, like he can't quite push the sad memories away long enough to get a smile. May God bring him healing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails