Sunday, December 2, 2012

Advent at Our House

Three years ago I put together a punchable advent calendar.  It was a lot of work.  I'm all about limiting work.

I like the idea of a meaningful advent calendar but have I mentioned that I'm lazy?

Hubby and I brainstormed ideas for advent.  We came up with meaningful as well as fun.  Yet in the end it looks totally different than what I thought it would look like.  I'll still keep the bucket list we brainstormed and incorporate (some of) the activities before Christmas.

What We're Using This Year
A FamilyLife product was created in 2003 called Prophecy Envelopes.  Unfortunately they are no longer in production - boo for you.  However, you could make something similar.  The idea is to write an Old Testament prophecy on a card and on the other side write its New Testament fulfillment then stick it in an envelope.  Here is a site that lists such verses.

The Old Testament side of the card is gray while the New Testament side is colorful.  I hung them on a simple ribbon with clothespins in our dining room.  In the picture you can see the first two colorful cards on the upper left - today being December 2.  During mealtime, usually dinner, we pull the card down, read it, and talk about the meaning.  We are anticipating the coming of our Savior.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails