watch on Amazon.
Something about watching the story, as opposed to reading it in the Bible, causes one to think about it differently.
A few things that come to mind:
- How young Mary was. The story became familiar to me at a young age and I have always thought of Mary as someone older.
- The scandalous cultural implications of her pregnancy while a virgin.
- The journey to Bethlehem was arduous and long and uncomfortable!
- King Herod was a cunning and evil man.
- The wise men looking for the star, and the astronomy that went into seeking the child.
We're only about half way through the movie. I'm sure the Lord will cause other things in the story to come alive as we finish it - I just wanted to encourage you to watch it before Christmas. We've watched it the last 3 or 4 or 5? years.
The Greatest Gift - Unwrapping the Full Love Story of Christmas by Ann Voskamp. Truly I have enjoyed reading her short, daily devotions leading up to Christmas. Each day begins with Scripture, then a devotion, a suggested action point (which could be doing something or simply being), and a few questions with space to write reflections.
Merry Christmas, y'all!